- This event has passed.
GEOTRACES Latin American Workshop
12 November 2012 - 15 November 2012
A meeting was held in Rio de Janeiro in November 2012 to foster the involvement of Latin American (LA) scientists in the GEOTRACES.The workshop had the following objectives:
1) Define scientific questions of global interest that are geographically proximal to LA nations
2) Define scientific questions of national or regional interest that are too large, or too complex, to be addressed by a single nation or by small projects, and therefore would benefit from international collaboration.
3) Identify opportunities and strategies for collaboration within the scope of the GEOTRACES Program.
4) Identify opportunities for technology transfer and training that would increase the capacity of scientists in LA nations to undertake GEOTRACES-related research.
The workshop brought together scientists from the region with interest in developing research activities related to the program. International investigators from the GEOTRACES Program also participated.
Participants at the meeting agreed a final statement outlining important GEOTRACES science in the LA region, and synergies between GEOTRACES Activities and other science in LA.
The following scientists were identified as national contact points for the GEOTRACES programme:
Venezuela: Tibisay Perez
Chile: Sandor Mulsow
Uruguay: Danilo Calliari
Mexico: Evgueni Shumilin
Columbia: Luisa Espinosa-Díaz
Argentina: José Luis Esteves
The contribution to organization and travel expenses by the following sponsors is gratefully acknowledged:
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nivel Superior (CAPES)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ)
- Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (EMBRAPA)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- US National Science Foundation (NSF)
If you have questions regarding the workshop, please contact Angela Wagener.