The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) invites applications for the position of Associate Professor to Full Professor of Marine Science and Director of the Marine Science Institute (MSI) with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2022. The MSI is an organized research unit that operates outside of the established academic teaching departments at UCSB and promotes innovative research as well as education outreach activities spanning 14 disciplines. The MSI administers greater than $86 million in extramural and intramural funds in over 400 projects and education outreach programs. The MSI is housed in the picturesque Marine Science Research Building (MSRB) on the UCSB campus overlooking the Santa Barbara Channel. This modern facility includes 35,230 ft2 of laboratory and office space that houses the research and administrative needs of the MSI.
The successful candidate is expected to advance the research enterprise of the MSI across a broad front of activities, while continuing their own internationally recognized, extramurally funded research program, mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, participating in ongoing graduate and undergraduate teaching programs, and participating effectively in other university service and professional activities. The successful candidate will be broadly trained with interdisciplinary experience in areas including but not limited to oceanography (biological, chemical, physical or geological); marine ecology; marine biogeochemistry; or the ocean’s role in climate and have teaching interests that are aligned with the curriculum of the Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science (IGPMS).
UCSB is particularly interested in applicants who have made and will continue to make significant contributions to marine science and who have demonstrated successful leadership and development skills. As the MSI Director, the candidate is expected to foster an environment that inspires collaborations across a broad spectrum of researchers and departments and participate in outreach and fundraising activities. In addition, the Director will lead and oversee contracts and grants generated by this organized research unit, and manage MSI’s space and facilities. The Director will have a permanently tenured faculty position in an appropriate academic department at UCSB. The appointment as MSI Director is for five years and is renewable for an additional five-year period. The MSI Director’s position comes with some teaching release and a stipend.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service as appropriate to the position. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at UC Santa Barbara. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Applications received by Mar 19, 2022 will be given priority consideration, but the position will remain open until filled.
A Ph.D conferred in a field directly relevant to Marine Science is required at the time of application. Fields of study include but are not limited to oceanography (biological, chemical, physical or geological); marine ecology; marine biogeochemistry; or study regarding the ocean’s role in climate.
- Applicants with a record of research and professional activity commensurate with a tenured appointment.
- Demonstrated experience in academic and/or research administration, development and leadership at a University or similar environment.
- Be broadly trained with interdisciplinary experience and a commitment to disciplines directly relevant to Marine Science (cf., biological, chemical, physical or geological oceanography and marine ecology).
- Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated teaching experience at the undergraduate and graduate level and could make direct contributions to the IGPMS curricula
- Demonstrated expertise in organizational and budget management (e.g., laboratory research group or institution administration).
- Curriculum Vitae – Please submit a complete CV including full publication, funding, and mentorship records
- Statement of Teaching and Mentorship – Describe your pedagogical values and methods, your record of mentorship, and what courses (undergraduate & graduate) you might teach at UCSB (1-2 pages)
- Statement of Research – describe your top 3 research contributions, as well as your vision for how your research program would fit in marine sciences at UCSB (1-2 pages)
- Statement of Administrative Experience and vision for marine science on campus – (Discuss your top three administrative accomplishments and the vision you have for the MSI and marine science at UCSB) (1-2 pages)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
- Submit your 1st of 3 publications required that best highlight the impact of your contribution to the field
- Submit your 2nd of 3 publications required that best highlight the impact of your contribution to the field
- Submit your 3rd of 3 publications required that best highlight the impact of your contribution to the field
- 3-4 required (contact information only)
Names and contact information for 3-4 references will be provided by each applicant. Letters from those references will be requested for only those applicants selected for serious consideration
Open date: January 21st, 2022
Next review date: Saturday, Mar 19, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. New University of California employees must (a) provide proof of receiving at least one dose of a COVID-19 Vaccine no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment and provide proof of Full Vaccination no later than eight weeks after their first date of employment; or (b) if applicable, submit a request for Exception or Deferral no later than 14 calendar days after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.) Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Santa Barbara, CA