Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences seeks a Research Associate to manage and conduct research in the trace metal biogeochemistry laboratory. The successful candidate will manage and oversee operation and maintenance of a quadrupole mass spectrometer and associated HPLC, as well electrochemistry and flow injection instruments, microscopes, microwave digestion system, culturing equipment, and a Class-100 clean room. The position may involve travel to synchrotron facilities for sample analysis, as well as ocean research cruises. The successful candidate will be responsible for data processing, analysis and archiving, as well as instrument maintenance, laboratory upkeep, phytoplankton culturing, and assisting undergraduate students and other laboratory researchers. The ideal candidate will have some background and experience in both ocean chemistry and biology. Salary is commensurate with demonstrated experience, with a starting range of $24-$28/hr, and comes with a generous benefits package including health care, retirement contribution, and paid time off.
- BS degree in marine science, chemistry, biology, or a related field plus 3-5 years of relevant work experience; or MS degree in one of these fields plus 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience with trace metal research
- Strong communication and analytical skills, including data handling
- Ability to work independently with close attention to detail
Applicants should submit the following to our online application portal:
- A one-page cover letter describing interest in the position and why you are the best applicant for the position
- A detailed curriculum vitae or resume specifically highlighting experience in the stated requirements
- Contact information for three references
For full consideration, the application should be received by February 17, 2023. Review of applicants will begin immediately thereafter. The search will continue until the position is filled.
Individuals seeking more information about this position or needing to request an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 315-2567, ext. 107.
Working at Bigelow Laboratory
Bigelow Laboratory is an inclusive community of scientists from around the world that welcomes and supports diverse opinions and cultures. Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences strives to maintain an environment that allows our employees to flourish through respectful, inclusive, and equitable treatment of others. We believe there is power in embracing the full diversity of humanity to advance science and are committed to supporting each other as individuals worthy of respect. Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.