The European Association of Geochemistry (EAG) is a non-profit organization registered in France, dedicated to promoting geochemistry internationally. To this aim, the EAG organizes the Goldschmidt Conference in Europe, publishes open access journals, recognizes scientific excellence, supports early career scientists and sponsors outreach initiatives.
To manage all of EAG operations, including the Goldschmidt conference organization in Europe and the production of two scientific publications, the EAG currently has two permanent staff members and contracts several service providers and self-employed individuals.
The EAG is now looking for an assistant to support administration and communications as well as the production of articles in our journals, mainly working on Geochemical Perspectives Letters, EAG’s flagship journal. We are looking for a self-employed individual based in Europe, to be paid (in Euros) on an hourly basis for the work performed. All work is done from home.
Regarding the role of Communications Assistant, responsibilities include:
- Updating the EAG website and posting blogs
- Managing social media channels (Twitter and Facebook) and posting regularly about the society and upcoming Goldschmidt conference
- Assisting with preparing society newsletters and conference blast emails
- Updating the mailing lists and our databases
- Analyzing data from communication platforms and preparing reports
- Providing administrative support related to various society or conference tasks
Regarding the role of Editorial Assistant, responsibilities include:
- For new submissions in Geochemical Perspectives Letters, performing the technical check and identifying a suitable editor
- Following up on submissions, editors’ and reviewers’ tasks
- Responding to queries from authors, editors and reviewers
- When articles are accepted for publication, liaising with authors, copy-editors and the service provider, and preparing all necessary files
- For our second journal, Geochemical Perspectives, assisting with preparing the list of references
As the EAG is a small and versatile structure, additional tasks to support our team may be requested.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in communications or science or a related field
- Absolute proficiency in English
- Excellent and creative communicator
- Sound knowledge of social media
- Experience working with MS Office and a photo editor application (e.g. Photoshop or similar applications)
- Experience with a content management system (e.g. WordPress)
- Good knowledge of scientific publications
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills
- A keen eye for details
- An analytical mind with a problem-solving attitude
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Prior experience as a Communications Specialist/Assistant or a similar role, and/or Production Assistant or a similar role is welcome but not absolutely required
The workload is expected to range from 7 to 20 hours a week. The selected candidate should be available to start immediately.
For any questions, please contact Marie-Aude Hulshoff at firstname.lastname@example.org