- Climate Change induced spectacular increase of the land-ocean inputs in the Arctic Ocean
Measurements of radium-228 (228Ra) in the framework of the 2015 U.S. GEOTRACES Arctic Transect (GN01), revealed that the surface water content of this tracer has almost doubled over the last decade, specifically in the Transpolar Drift near the North Pole...
-Where, how and which trace elements are released from dust at the sea surface?
Alex Baker and Tim Jickells propose to answer to this question thanks to analysis of aerosols collected in the framework of the Atlantic Meridional Transect (AMT). They established the soluble concentrations of a range of trace metals (iron, aluminium, manganese, titanium, zinc, vanadium, nickel and copper) and major ions...
- Dissolved zinc and silicate decoupling in the North Pacific Ocean
Large-scale distributions of dissolved zinc (Zn) in the western and central subarctic North Pacific Ocean was established as part of the North Pacific GEOTRACES section GP02. Kim and co-workers could figure out interesting Zn behavior in this area...
-New neodymium concentration and isotopic data from the West Pacific Ocean
In the framework of the GEOTRACES TransGeoBioOc process study (GPpr04), seawater samples were collected at 12 stations (and up to 17 depths per stations) along the SO223T cruise transect from Busan (South Korea) to Suva (Fiji)...
- Benthic nepheloid layer global compilation: an invaluable resource for GEOTRACES researchers
Models simulating any oceanic tracer biogeochemistry require a good depiction of the particle distribution, key to incorporating properly scavenging-remineralization processes. However, this kind of description is still rare. Gardner and co-workers are providing an exceptional compilation of the Benthic Nepheloid Layers (BNL) around the world...
A list of the GEOTRACESTown Halls and GEOTRACES sessions is available here.
Importantly, GEOTRACES will release an update of the 2017 Intermediate Data Product in conjunction with the Town Hall "Release of new GEOTRACES Data Product" on February 14, 2018 (12h45-13h45, Oregon Ballroom 201, Oregon Convention Center). Do not miss it!
In addition, GEOTRACES will participate at a booth sponsored by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR). Come to visit usat the SCOR booth at the Exhibition Hall of the Conference and pick up your USB card containing the eGEOTRACES Atlas!
- New special issue! Organic Ligands in Marine Trace Metal Biogeochemistry
The special issue in Frontiers in Marine Researchhighlighting the most recent accomplishments of a Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) Working Group, SCOR WG 139: Organic Ligands - A Key Control on Trace Metal Biogeochemistry in the Ocean is now available!
GEOTRACES welcomes Andrew Bowie as new co-chair of the GEOTRACES Scientific Steering Committee (SSC). Our deepest gratitude to Reiner Schlitzer who has rotated off as co-chair.
The GEOTRACES SSC also welcomes three new members: Susanne Fietz from South Africa, Kazuyo Tachikawa from France and Haojia Abby Ren from Taiwan. Thank you to rotating off members: Alakendra Roychoudhury, Geraldine Sarthou and Tung-Yuan Ho.
-Bridgestock, L., Hsieh, Y.-T., Porcelli, D., Homoky, W. B., Bryan, A., & Henderson, G. M. (2018). Controls on the barium isotope compositions of marine sediments.Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 481, 101–110. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2017.10.019
-Gardner, W. D., Mishonov, A. V., & Richardson, M. J. (2018). Decadal Comparisons of Particulate Matter in Repeat Transects in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Ocean Basins. Geophysical Research Letters. doi: 10.1002/2017GL076571
- Hein, J. R., Konstantinova, N., Mikesell, M., Mizell, K., Fitzsimmons, J. N., Lam, P. J., Jensen, L. T., Xiang, Y., Gartman, A., Cherkashov, G., Hutchinson, D. R., Till, C. P. (2017). Arctic Deep Water Ferromanganese-Oxide Deposits Reflect the Unique Characteristics of the Arctic Ocean.Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 18(11), 3771–3800. doi: 10.1002/2017GC007186
- Lam, P. J., Lee, J.-M., Heller, M. I., Mehic, S., Xiang, Y., & Bates, N. R. (2017). Size-fractionated distributions of suspended particle concentration and major phase composition from the U.S. GEOTRACES Eastern Pacific Zonal Transect (GP16).Marine Chemistry. doi:10.1016/j.marchem.2017.08.013
-Puigcorbé, V., Roca-Martí, M., Masqué, P., Benitez-Nelson, C., Rutgers van der Loeff, M., Bracher, A., & Moreau, S. (2017). Latitudinal distributions of particulate carbon export across the North Western Atlantic Ocean.Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, 129, 116–130. doi: 10.1016/j.dsr.2017.08.016
- Zunino, P., Lherminier, P., Mercier, H., Daniault, N., García-Ibáñez, M. I., & Pérez, F. F. (2017). The GEOVIDE cruise in May–June 2014 reveals an intense Meridional Overturning Circulation over a cold and fresh subpolar North Atlantic.Biogeosciences, 14(23), 5323–5342. doi:10.5194/bg-14-5323-2017
Banner 3D scene figure: 3D scene showing the distribution of dissolved iron in the Atlantic Ocean. Source: Schlitzer, R., eGEOTRACES - Electronic Atlas of GEOTRACES Sections and Animated 3D Scenes, http://www.egeotraces.org, 2017.